Performance | Soundwalk
Ambulation: to walk or move from place to place
Incorporating performance, walking and field recording, Ambulation offers a sound responsive journey through a city, immersing the audience in a familiar yet abstracted environment.
During a 50-minute guided walk through a specially chosen area of the city, up to 10 participants each wearing wireless radio headphones will receive an audio feed of live recordings, locational radio broadcasts and electromagnetic energy from their immediate environment. Sounds are processed, layered and re-introduced live by the artist directly into the participants’ headphones as the walk continues.
Using a selection of listening technologies and a variety of different microphones a diverse range of sonic material will be collected, processed and broadcast. A live improvisation with the immediate soundscape that plays with memory, intuition and impulse – unique each time it is performed.
Ambulation has been performed at the following festivals / events:
- Brighton Dome, Brighton, UK
- Middlesbrough Art Weekender, Middlesbrough, UK
- Dorothea Quarry (with James Davoll) in North Wales, UK
- SPAN at BALTIC (with Its Nice That and Google) in Gateshead, UK
- Compass Festival in Leeds, UK
- FACT (Foundation for Art and Technology) in Liverpool, UK
- Sonic Environments in Brisbane, Australia
- Research Through Design conference in Cambridge, UK
- The Newbridge Project, Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK
- Musée Imaginaire in Newcastle-upon-Tyne, UK