Since 2015, John Bowers and Tim Shaw have been developing a creative practice they have come to call ‘mythogeosonics’.
Mythogeosonics works with an extended conception of field recording to incorporate such diverse practices as geophysical data sonification and paranormal investigation.
Think of all the fields: radio, magnetic, electric, esoteric.
They cross between on-site investigation, installation-making, soundwalks, and an improvisatory performance practice combining soundscapes, documentary recordings, film, text, and process material using modular synthesizers, resonant found objects, DIY software and self-made instruments.
Think of all the ways that the mythogeosonic can be heard, witnessed, appreciated and transformed.
Recent works by Bowers and Shaw have included:
- Unfoldings/SoundLines (FACT, Liverpool, UK, 2015)
- Walk Write Repeat (AlgoMech, Sheffield, UK, 2016)
- Into The Woods (Beyond, Allenheads Contemporary Arts, UK, 2017)
- Universal Transformation Machine (Piksel, Bergen, Norway, 2018)
- Annual Review (Experimental Intermedia, New York, 2018)
- Ongoing Research (FUSE, Bradford, UK, 2018)
- Ongoing Research (IKLECTIK, London, UK, 2019)
- Ongoing Research (Centrala, Birmingham, UK, 2019)
- Ongoing Research (Reid Concert Hall, Edinburgh, 2019)
- Ongoing Research (Wee Red Bar, Edinburgh, 2019)
- Annual Review (Plymouth Boat Club, Plymouth, UK, 2019)